Thread: Avoid flips
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 02:09 PM
Heavy Contributor

Yes, metal flake paint. I used the metal flake paint you can get in the CAN at Auto Zone or whatever. But the paint really doesn’t come out unless you put a clear coat on it. They got a clear coat in the can also at same places. Just got be careful with it. It wants to Run real easy. 2 thin coats, then a thicker coat for the last. The kids scratched the paint up all the time. Found using a good paint, with a clear coat and (in a can) touch ups are easy. Little expensive at first when starting out. When can's are $12 a pop, and clear coat is $7. But after that, breeze to touch up and fix. Dupli-color Metal, paint, and Dupli-color, perfect match clear coat. When patching areas, they blend in very well, and even if don’t get all clear coat off, the metal flake still covers good when feathering out. And just put some more clear coat back on.
Warning::: I use black gloss epoxy for the black,- in back and front, and floor boards. Don’t get the clear coat on the epoxy. They DO NOT mix well together.

Pic shows the damage to buggy after I laid it on its side. Next day, went in sanded down, wiped it down with clear rag. Put a few coats of blue, few coats of clear. In less than 2hrs, had it out in sun curing the clear coat. 2nd pic. Couldn’t tell anything happened.

No, I didn't make fenders. Was going to, but to find diamond plated aluminum, was crazy. (at least in my area.) BD has them for around $140.00 I think. for all 4. They mount nicely for the back. But the front hardware I dismissed. Took some 3/8 rod, and welded the rod to the spindles, and used the mounting hole already in the fender. Turned out not to bad, however, I think i'm going to add one more rod for support. I like how the fenders turn with the wheels. Just got to make sure you mount them so they dont hit the frame when in a full turn. That was the hardest part. And if half to do it again. I have them predrill the rear fenders like they did. But don’t pre-drill the front. The way I mounted them, would have better to have 2 holes. One up front, and another one in the back.

I got some washers in the swing arms. Hopefully get it out soon, and see if that helps the stability of it.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roll impact.jpg (95.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg repair.jpg (99.9 KB, 28 views)