Thread: New member
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 08:17 AM
Supporting Vendor

I always say" you get what you pay for. Four years ago I noticed quite a bit of play in my dodge 5.9 water pump. My neighbor happened to be there and told me to get one from Cummins. Later that evening I priced a new pump from Cummins for 169.00, come with a 1 year warranty. I also checked Auto Zone, O'Reilly's ,Napa and CARQUEST. All were cheaper than Cummins. CQ and Napa only had rebuilt. O'Reilly's had a new pump lifetime for 55.00, so a no brainier since I had limited funds I bought it. Forward 6 months I was on I-55 heading home when my engine temp rapidly rose at the same time noticed smoke from under the hood. Long story short I had to spend 100.00 to be towed since I could not keep water in the radiator. Got home pulled the life time pump and got another along with 2 gallons of coolant. About 6 months later I noticed coolant dripping under the truck after a long drive. Upon inspection I found it to be from the pump. I than went to Cummins and spent the 169.00 for a new pump with 1 year warranty. Bottom line: pump 55.00, labor 1 hour, coolant 30.00, tow 100.00, coolant 30.00, labor 1 hour. Assuming my labor rate a total of 345.00 and still climbing since I have to change pump out again. Cummins pump 165.00, coolant 30.00, 1 hour labor, done for a total of 260.00. Three years later no leaks. I will add the original pump lasted 400,000 miles. If I had only listened to my neighbor I would have saves about 85.00, and how do you figure cost of inconvenience. I can give you many more examples. As we all know there are no guarantee's in life except for 3 things, you will eventually die, you will one way or another pay taxes, and you get what you pay for. Now lets look at something most will overlook. Say I bought the pump off e-bay same price and warranty as O'reilly. After purchase they ask me to answer the survey. Value of product: great, was it as described: yes, quickness of shipping : great. 100% rating for everyone to see. What everyone does not see is what happened 6 months later for upon replacement of the pump there will be no survey for me to answer. Now I'm not saying E-bay is no good, what I am saying is naturally ASW will be slightly higher than e-bay since they have more overhead than e-bay in that they pay for a warehouse with people to check in the parts and people to ship the parts, but these expenses won't add up to 21.00 more in price. ASW pays more for the part due to quality control. People won't rate ASW on one survey immediately after the sale as is done on e-bay. As far as your reverse an external reverse will be mounted off the output shaft separate of the engine, an internal reverse will be integrated into the engine case. Usually the external will be a round unit with the shift cable routed into the side of it. I believe the crossfire made buggies with both int. and ext. reverse units. A picture would tell all.