View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 11:02 PM

Front brakes are drums. Shoes are available and cheap ($20 a set and up) you'll need 2 sets

As noted master cylinders are tough to find. Rebuild kist are available. Need 2 (frt and rea)r around $70 for the pair

Cables are expensive. Throttle, choke, brake are about $40 each

Controls on steering wheel are fine. Throttle and brake levers can be difficult/pricey if they need replaced.

Rear brakes don't work real great. (prob your soft one) Calipers are pretty difficult/expensive if you need 1 of those. Rebuild kits are noexistent.

Rear axles are pricey (about $200 ea and you have 2) and the U joints are pricey too $40 ea and you have 4. These are a problem spot on the FL 350. When the U joint breaks (due to age) it usually takes out the rear shock too.

Rear shocks are difficult to find (because of the U joint problem) unless you go aftermarket. Then you only have WORKS Shocks as an option at around $500 for the rear and around $400 for the fronts. Not kidding......

2 strokers do not like to be starved for fuel. Lack of fuel usually leads to piston failure. So fuel supply is critical.

Also an air leak (leaking air INTO the engine, not out) will lean out the air fuel ratio and cause issues. So inspect the rubber around the intake manifold (usually cracks from age) Another culprit of an air leak is engine crank seals. No way to test those without tearing the intake and exhaust off and putting the engine under a vacuum.

These had a tendency to overheat. (Honda had a recall to address it) So air flow to the engine is crucial as Liduno noted. Lack of the air guides (wings on side of seat) or extended idling can be an issue. Lots of people install liquid cooled heads to combat this issue at a hefty price ($300-400 for the head, then another $150ish for radiator, hoses, mounts etc....

This is most of the stuff I can think of.

Remember these are 30 yrs old, so original parts are worn. There's not a lot of parts available, so there's a lot of competition from other owners looking to score parts too.

Fenders??? Oh boy.... A lot of people looking for decent fenders. Last set I saw of NEW guy wanted about $400 for a set of 2.

Fun buggy, but as I said in the other thread. If it needs work, be prepared to shell out some $$ bringing it up to par.

There's a good website just for Odyssey and Pilots if you wanna do more research. Be ready to do a lot of reading.

I'm not bashing the Oddy, just wish I would have researched it more myself. If I had, I would have saved some more $$ and bought the Pilot. Liquid cooled and much better suspension.
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........