View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 11:42 AM
Heavy Contributor

Default Running rich need little advise

I got the FL 350. I could tell it was running rich when looked at it, but not this rich. It take me or someone else to depress the gas down 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, to get it to start. I let it warm up for about 5 mins, but still wont stay started unless I keep giving it gas, if not then dies. Also when I rev up the engine, seems like it takes forever to get up in the higher RPM range. Checked the spark plug, and it black. even wet black.

I took off the carb. But some reason couldn't get the choke to come out from the top of the carb. Thought maybe there was a way to get to it inside, but there wasn't. So dis assemble it and cleaned it all real good. Float, all the jets. When I looked at the bowl, the last person that took the carb apart looked as if they used some kind of white seal on the bowl. The O ring looked a little warn, but not bad. But just incase sealed with some gasket maker to ensure wasn't going to leak.

When bought this, came with some extra Rims, and tires. Set of paddle tires, front and back. Also came with box of extra stuff. Some replacement parts, new cable still in its bag. and old choke, some engine parts, head, new piston still in the box. And a set of Jets. So appeared the 1st owner knew something about the buggy.

after cleaning the carb. I fired it up. Still needed to give gas before it would start. But with the air filter off I can clearly see gas shooting from the front of the carb. So it running really rich. Since it seems that the choke has been replaced before. Could the choke be stuck, and cutting off the air? As rich as it's running, I don't see what carb. adjustment could give to lean it up enough. Maybe float or jets? But since the owner (I'm guessing, had an idea ) what they was doing, I don't see them saleing it running that way.

If choke is stuck open, or part way, would it act like I described?
any thoughts would be helpful. Carb looks like its in good shape. but could be wrong.
Thanks