View Single Post
Old 08-12-2015, 09:12 AM
Heavy Contributor

Thx Jman. Was a fun project for me and the kids last winter. Thou, dont look that clean right now. . As stated on another thread, need some repairs, welding ect.... Need to touch up paint again in places. All minor, and be something to do once it cools down again.

As far as the right exhaust. I found it for sale on ebay. Brand new, was about $50.00 cheaper than Other exhaust I was looking at. Solid Stainless steel. Very good quality. Plus it has a silencer with it. Very happy with it.
However, other modes needed to be made to make it work. #1, was the reverse box. There wasn't enough room to put the exhaust and reverse box on same side, if your going to mount the swing bracket to the engine. Where the reverse cable goes into the box, would hit the exhaust. Wasn’t enough room. But if I flipped it, had good clearance.
So I trimmed the bracket. Then welded a drop down bracket from the rear Cross bars from the spider box. Drilled a hole, and used nut and bolt to connect, so could be easily removed.

Exhaust came with two stainless steel straps. Only really needed one. Again I made a bracket coming from the side cross member off the spider box. Instead of hanging. It’s laying on top of the mount. The strap is very good quality. No issues of it busting or coming lose. Plus the kit came with rubber guards between the exhaust and mounting straps. So that was really nice to have. In that one side pic of the buggy, shows somewhat, what I did for mounting of the exhaust, and the reverse bracket.

Only other thing. Not sure if same issue’s with other exhaust. But does swing out a little. If you don’t have offset on your rims, 10inch is about the max width. But when got new rims, had them with an offset, and could put 12inch on if I want now.

Best to move the battery to the other side. (still have yet to do). Winter project again.

So really with all the work, and trial and error. Wondering if worth saving the $50.00. However, I really do love the exhaust. Looks great, and love the silencer. In town, at night, I can make it sound like a moped. Take it completely out, and can hear the kids clear a cross farm. (which I love).
One major PLUS. It’s sooooooo easy to get into the CVT case. For that reason alone, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Came in 2 pieces, so had to weld the pipe and muffler. I wish NOW I would have fabed some sort of spring attachment like is done to the Honda Odyssey exhaust. The buggy sounded AWSOME with just that straight pipe. And would be able to hear the kids a mile away.

Other than modes to the buggy itself, pipe fits perfect to the GY6. If interested here is link to the closes one they still saling. Dang, Didn't know could get Carbon Fiber for $10.00 more. .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hi-Performan...item2a54cfe82a
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reverse bracket.jpg (91.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg right rear.jpg (99.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg exhaust 1 (2).jpg (94.1 KB, 15 views)