View Single Post
Old 11-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Lurker

Default Crazy wiggle on accelleration

I just finished changing the upper arms to even ones and new HD spindles and HD balljoints. While I was there, noticed the entire front suspension unit was held on with 6 loose 5/16 bolts.Not a very good design. Took time out to repair that, now it has 6 tight 1/2" stainless bolts.
After finishing I ran it down the paved street, at night, same one I test drove on with bent spindles and really bad ball joints before the repair. As I accellerated through about 10-15 mph the whole buggy was wiggling, like a trailer doing the death wobble. and a bit of a rumble from the drivetrain. It's bad enough I wouldm't try to drive through it, feels very unstable.
Didn't happen on the before test ride. Front alignment isn't great, might be toed out. Rear wheels spin straight, I couldn't see any shake in the front. I know at least one of the rear swing arm bushings are bad, waiting for those to arrive. still steers like crap, takes 40+ ft to turn around but that's design

Any suggestions would be great, I'm checking the belt tomrrow, and will test drive in daylight with someone watching.

Stuff that is different between drives:
While I was waiting for the font end parts to arrive, twice, once wrong and then the right ones, I replaced the coil with an orange one, (because orange stuff is faster ) and a CDI box.
Rear wheel hub nuts were loose, tightened them