View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Lurker

Still working on the suspension. I did receive the performance variator and clutch upgrade from Tom at Kidnme. Kit also included CDI, performance plug wire, air filter, and bigger jet. All parts made really well. Video Tom posted on his web site really made change over very very easy. Thanks for the Videos Tom. All went well until I started it. I didn't size the new outside variator plate to old plate - dummy me. New plate about 1/2 inch bigger and made a racket rubbing against case when when started. Shut buggy done - saw the problems and put old front plate on - no problems. Issue was not Tom's doing, I like the bigger plate, but it just will not fit on GK-44. Anyway, I have a question about shock mounting. When completely replacing location of shock, do you compress the shock any when you install it or install it full extended?
Oh, forgot to mention one thing. On the GK-44 single seat buggy, when I was going through some pretty mean bumps, and my head was going side to side (with helmet on), I could not stop hitting both sides of the roll cage. I'm 5'8" and I was really surprised the roll cage was too close with my helmet on. A two hour fix. Took the roll cage off, cut it in six places, leaving at least 4 inches on both ends to insert 14" of 1" 5/8 tubing over existing tubing. Drilled the thick wall tubing first and then placed new tubing over existing tubing. Used grade eight bolts. This procedure extending the roll cage about 6 inches and no more head knocking. If any one tries this the tubing is smooth on the outside, but you have to grind the inside seem. I am waiting to receive my elka shocks, before I start cutting shock mounts and suspension. Regardless of my modifications, I really enjoy this buggy? I know that I go on and on, but one last question - maybe for Tom. I like the quick response of the upgrade parts, but I want the buggy to grab a lot sooner. Do I need smaller gram roller? When I read some of the other posts, people have mention 9 grams. Too small - please advise. Thanks.......