View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 08:55 PM
Lurker

Default Can't get kart to start

Here's the issue. I can't get my son's kart to start. He was riding it and at some point the battery came off (has happened before when the zip ties broke). So we got the battery and put it back on and not paying close attention, I sat it in backwards. Before attaching the wires, I just wanted to make sure it would still start so I held the wires to the battery and had my son hit the start button. Of course I had the wires backwards on the battery. Instead of turning over, it made a grinding/spinning type noise. I immediately realized I had the battery in backwards and switched the wires to the correct terminal. It fired up fine and my son rode it for another 30-45 min. After that we put it up. I happened to be down in the basement later in the day and decided to try to start it. Nothing. As if the battery was dead but I checked and the battery was fine. I tried bypassing the brake safety (plugging the two wires into each other that go to the brake safety switch). No luck. I took the wires off the ignition button (red button) and tried just touching them together. Nothing. The main fuse looks good (the one shaped like a cylinder in the white housing). I left it in but got continuity with a multi-meter. I can't find any other fuses to check. I'm not sure what the issue could be.

Since it started after the ordeal with the battery being hooked up backwards for a few seconds, I'm wondering if everything is still ok there. I would think that if it would have caused an issue, then it wouldn't have started right afterwards. I'm not sure what else to check.

I read some things about bypassing the solenoid and such. I'm not sure how to do that. I will admit that I'm a newbie at this as it's the first kart I've ever owned and I'm no mechanic at all. I bought it used a couple years ago. My son is having a bunch of his buddies over this upcoming weekend and now it looks like he's not going to have his kart for them to ride on.

If there are any other fuses, that would be a quick easy fix if that's the issue, but I can't find any. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Hitting the start button (or touching the two wires together that go to the red button) does nothing. No turning over, no sounds, just nothing at all.

Thanks in advance