View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 01:54 AM
Contributor

Default Bad news

The bad news
There is usually only the one fuse on these type of karts.
The regulator has nothing to do with the kart starting

Hooking up the battery backwards probably cooked your wires.
It might not have been noticeable at first but when you superheat the wires like happens when batteries are connected backwards or jumpers short to frame then the wires are still connected at first but as they cool they break and that would explain why it started right away but not later.

Go over your wires especially where the ground wires hook to your motor and frame. Look at your connector plugs I will bet you find a bunch of melted wires and or connectors.

There is a real possibility that other damage was done as well.
CDI, regulator, solenoid, starter and even stator could have been damaged although this is less likely because it was able to start and run afterwards but not impossible.

Re-wiring can be a daunting task (In the middle of a complete rewire myself)
If you don't feel comfortable with the task then I recommend taking it to a trustworthy motorcycle/ATV repair place. Look for a place that does the jap brands Honda, Kawasaki and the like. A Harley or victory shop will most likely not be a welcoming place for you to go.

They will be able to go over the system and locate the problem. If you are not sure get a second opinion.

Most of these engines are based on the Honda GY6 motor and are fairly well known and pretty easy to work on.

But they are very confusing to someone who has no experience with them or these type of motors.

Don't feel bad that's most of us when we arrive on these forums.

As far as cost that will depend on what they find if its just some damaged grounds then it shouldn't cost much.

If it took out other parts the cost will go up depending on what needs replaced.

As an option follow your positive cable up it will run to a round thing with 2 bolts on top of it like in the attached picture. you will need to jump between the 2 bolts with the power on. If the engine cranks, starts, or runs then you have eliminated a lot of possibilities and it is most likely a bad solenoid.

Look it over and let us know what you find.
Im far from an expert and there are a lot of people on here that know way more than I do but this should help you get started sorting it out.

As to the 212 pred swap I unfortunately can not help you there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solonoid.jpg (4.2 KB, 1 views)