View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 10:49 PM
Lurker

Default Hammerhead: Stiff steering after collision

We've got a 2009-ish Hammerhead Twister 150cc. Recently, my son ran into a building with the front left wheel. After the impact, the strut and wheel looked OK, but the front left wheel was toed OUT at least 10 degrees, and the steering turned very stiffly--even with the front end jacked up & the wheels off the ground.

The left ball joint boot was torn, as if it had been overextended, but I can't guarantee that it wasn't torn before the accident (this kart has seen better days). The inner shaft to which the ball joint connects seemed to be extended out an inch or two farther on the left side when the steering wheel was centered and the right wheel was pointed straight forward.

I've never seen the inside of a steering gear. Is that inner shaft just one piece that runs the entire width from ball joint to ball joint, or are there two inner shafts? Does the steering shaft meet that with a worm gear or something? Could that gear have gotten stripped upon impact? Something inside that gear is moving very stiffly now. Is it possible to fix that, or must I buy a whole new steering gear for $85?

I don't see an obvious way to open up the steering gear box. Am I missing something? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

This seems to be my steering gear, FWIW:
https://www.buggypartsnw.com/index.p...0-and-250.html

Last edited by Obi-Wan-YJ; 08-28-2018 at 11:18 PM.