View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Lurker

Wink help with Kenbar Streaker SC7 w/ 5hp Briggs

I just bought an old go kart for my daughters. It seemed to pull pretty good the day I bought it. After a few days, it wouldn't hardly take off, and had very little speed. The belt was worn, so I bought a new one. I read on a site that the torque converter (Comet TAV 30) should be cleaned, so I disassembled it, cleaned it (de-rusted) , lubed it and reassembled it, all according to the instructions on the site (*****************). I put the new belt on, and while it is a little better, it still goes about as fast as I can run on foot and is sluggish on take off, like it is slipping. The new belt is showing some signs of starting to fray on the edges. The belt also appears to be out of alignment, which an extra washer behind the driven should cure. Anyway, I put a block under the back, started it up and mashed the gas...the driven doesn't expand. I don't think I'm getting enough RPM's, but I'm not sure why. The brakes aren't dragging and the TC operates smoothly by hand. This is the first kart that I've owned, and my girls are a little disappointed. How fast should this thing go? Should it be able to break the back tires (ATV knobbies) loose in gravel? How can I tell if my motor is turning enough RPM? What should I look for as the culprit? Sorry for the long post...I'm just a little frustrated for my girls' sakes. Any help would be appreciated.