View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 03:10 PM
Lurker

Default Newbie, looking to see what it will take to change to a torque converter

Hi All,

This is my first post. And, this is my first go kart (since I was a kid). Now, I've got a couple of kids, and I went out and bought this cool little go kart. It just needed a clutch, but when I put it on, I realized just how little low-end torque there is (especially when I'm on it). I understand how the centrifugal clutch works, and accept that this is the best it can do with my predator 212 engine, so now I am considering switching to a torque converter.

I am new to go karts, but I am mechanically inclined, and enthusiastic to have this going by the spring. So I am looking for some advice. Most of the pictures that I've seen involve a sprocket mounted on the rear axle; is that necessary? If so, will I need to cut out the rear shaft to expose the axle, and buy a "Live" sprocket? Will the engine need to be more centered then, or can some kind of jack shaft do the job with the existing sprocket? These terms are all new to me, so if anyone can also educate me on terminology, it sure will help me with Google searches.

My goal is not to eek out the most speed from this kart, but I definitely would like it to operate decently in a field with a bit of slope.

Any advice would be appreciated!

-Brian

IMG_9401.jpg

IMG_9402.jpg

IMG_9403.jpg

IMG_9404.jpg