View Single Post
Old 02-07-2016, 09:40 AM
Lurker

Thank you, OLDKID, what you said makes a lot of sense. I'd better maximize what I can out of this axle first.

Right now the gear ratio is 5 (i.e., 12 teeth on the clutch, 60 teeth on the wheel hub). With that, in the grass with a slight incline, I have to push the back tire with my hand to get it to move, but then obviously the clutch gets very hot and smokes off the gear oil I put on the clutch bearing. I weight like 200lbs, which probably doesn't help either. Once I make it to a level area, I pick up speed and it seems OK for a bit, but I can't live with it the way that it is.

So if I understand you right, I should have more teeth on the wheel hub sprocket? That would increase the gear ratio, right? Having ridden a ten speed before, I know that that certainly would help with the power at the bottom end. I've seen as high as 80 teeth so far, which would increase the gear ratio from 5 to 6.7. At this point, those are just numbers to me; I can't appreciate if that will be enough of an increase in torque at the low end or not. What do you think? And would you think I could find a sprocket with more than 80 teeth?