Thread: Hatchet Job
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2016, 02:45 PM
Power User

Some updates. Been battling the flu or some crap for a month now, so winterizing work, the house and keeping on this build has been a stretch and then some

Decided the old swingarm mounts were too abused so i lopped them off and used some box tube stubs and 3/16ths plate to make new ones.

Mounting the rear shocks follows my typical fashion of putting them under a well supported tubing run. the fuel tank fits in the center rectangle. will likely "package" most of the electrical components in the triangular area above the shock.

Lower mounts I've just started on consist of 1" tube running on an angle from the swingarm box tube base back to the rear swingarm hoop. Going to put 3 or 4 mounting points on it so i can alter ride height and rate. Also need to add some support for the bearing hangars since they're only welded to the original hangars.

Rack mount bridge up front is tacked in, the mount plates will get centered and welded to it. Still need to add teeth to the rack and make my connections on either end of the tie rods.

BMI Karts had a banging closeout deal, picked up a spiderbox steering column and mount for $5 bucks and the double- UJ extension shaft for $2 bucks i think.

Cut 4 inches out of the steering rod and welded it back together.

Dug out the chunk of metal that was my old 3203 steering rod support plate and had to use that in place of the one on the spiderbox mount since the chop left it out of position and too short.

There will be a cross tube in the front hoop that I'm going to connect a bolt in rod to so that the angle of the steering mount can be moved. 3 tabs on the flat metal on the mount should suffice to make that work and prevent the mount clamps from moving.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg brghgr.jpg (80.1 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg rck.jpg (83.7 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg rer.jpg (83.2 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg strg.jpg (82.6 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg ovrll.jpg (93.3 KB, 142 views)