Thread: Hatchet Job
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 04:52 PM
Power User

Got a little further along, finished welding up the rear shock mounts then chopped out the mid tubing and plate that was on the swingarm and related to being used for an industrial engine setup.

The old sunl axle threw a sprocket location curveball at me that required removing this swingarm's engine hangar crosstube (one side was trashed anyway) and putting the sunl one in shifted as far left as possible. The tensioner plate mount up top will likewise need moved over. I'm also mulling over creating a turnbuckle style tensioner to help support the end of the output shaft, coming up from below. would be a rod end with a sealed bearing in it on the shaft and a rubber bushed eye at the bottom with a small tie rod tube in between. have plenty of quad tie rods to make this from.

The engine's output shaft and splined sprocket tube wasn't suitable to this setup, so luckily i still had a carter talon output shaft to replace it with. The sprocket tube fits more snugly on the talon one, but the sprocket is a 41-series, so it will be getting cut off and a 50 series put in its place, but again moved over much further to the left to align with the axle sprocket. then there'd be the tensioner's bearing followed by the end nut.

engine is torn down awaiting a gasket set for the 150 conversion. so i cracked open the trans while i was at it so i could pull the output shaft and inspect the bearings. Most were in good shape, but the upper clutch shaft blind bearing had rust on the races likely from sitting for a long time. picked up a new one today along with a new oil seal.

gearing-wise, this is going to have 22-inchers up front, 23's at the rear. The internals (another reason i opened the trans) are 13/40 and i'm putting a 39 axle sprocket on it and likely sticking with a 16 on the output. Gives 7.49 final, but i think that's a good choice with the 23s. This is also (mostly) going to be in the hands of a 12-year old, so not worried about cutting the top end back a little with that gearing.

Last edited by x-bird; 01-18-2017 at 04:57 PM.