View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Lite Contributor

I just bought a like-new condition Helix 150 a few weeks ago. I gave my 9 year old son the Helix, and I took over the Yerf. He is much faster than I, so I want to beef up the Yerf so we can be more competitive.

I paid $800 for my Helix, and it was like new. The only problem it had was a broken plastic shifter disk, so it has no reverse. I ordered a new metal disk, and it should arrive any day now.

I'd love to find another Helix near Central PA. There is one for sale locally, but the guy wants $1500 for it. I'm not paying $1500 for a Helix.

If I can put $400 into the Yerf and make it into a monster, I think it would be a worth while project.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________

As for my Yerf...the jackshaft is on a plate, and the engine sits on that plate. That plate, with engine, then bolts to the chassis of the kart.

Are you saying that I will need to drill the plate the engine sits on, or will I need to drill the chassis of the kart? Also, could this problem be solved by using a different size belt, rather than drilling the jackshaft plate?
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________

EDIT: I found the Robin Subaru 9HP for $300 shipped, new. Would that be a better engine than the 13HP Harbor Freight clone engine for the same price?

I have been reading, and some people seem to think the 13HP engine is way overkill for the Yerf, and I might not be able to use it's torque without bending jackshafts, motor mounts, breaking welds, breaking chains, and killing jackshaft bearings.

This in mind, help me chose between the 11HP Harbor($240), the 13HP Harbor($280), and the 9HP Robin/Subaru($300).

Last edited by SilverDuck; 05-10-2010 at 02:40 AM.