View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Contributor

I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree with you. This is no different that a drag car. What do you do to make a drag car leave? You gear the h*ll out of it and if running a slush box, use a high stall converter. This is the same principle, adding the taller tires raises the gear ratio which would make it faster on a flat road but makes the bottom end soggy. since this Ody is running the stock clutch it doesn't have the luxury of launching at 4200 rpm like my Pilot, therefore in a situation where I cant get a run at a steep sand hill & factor in the additional weight of the two seater, it is hard to get into the power band quick enough to pull the long steep sand hill.

I understand what you are driving at by reversing the tires to take some of the bite away so they will spin easier, but then I am right back to the same issue I had with the bald tires, backing down the hill because it spun out.

Nice looking Yerf, I ran basically the same thing on my daughters Yerf, 22x12x10 sand tires. The problem we had with them was just like this Ody it raised the gear ratio so much it didn't have enough bottom end to turn them here at 5500' and made the Yerf the gutless wonder. This is the only pic I could find that showed the sand tires on the yerf, but I ran it with a uni, and exhaust upgrade as well. On small hills it pulled great but when we headed out to the bigger hills it was useless.