View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Heavy Contributor

If your Stykers were not able to break loose and spin, I would agree they too tall for your gearing or they are still too aggressive for that desired height. I don't argue that tire height changes your gearing - In places where the tire can grab, a tall tire will kill your performance. However if the tire is less aggressive and you are trying to spin through material you can run a taller one than one that does not spin. Look at the variety of sand tires available as an example: Not only can you choose how many paddles you are running on each tire, but also how deep the paddles extend.

I have now run six different sand tires and four different trail tires on three different size buggies. My 650 included 23" shaved 8-paddle Kendas. The 650 was able to overpower the paddle grip and sink too fast, yet this became a very good tire for my 250's. I was able to get a good deal on some 26" ITP Dunestars and these were a little too tall or aggressive for the stock 650 but did well on modified 650's. When I ran these tires on a modified 250, I could use them in low range but shredded CVT belts due to the torque in high. I now have three sets of 20" paddles (GT Dune Slider II, GBC Sand Shark and ITP Sandstar) for the 250's which limit my clearance, but have eliminated CVT stress issues. The 150 was geared down very low limiting top speed to 30mph with 22" tires - It had no problems running the 22" Pro Wedge II because they were not aggressive and I can assure you it would have done worse with the 20" paddles I run on my 250's. Interspersed between my experimentation with sand tires, I also ran different trail tires. The stock turf tread 20" tires on the 150 did surprising well on sand but limited climbing ability. 22" Kenda Pathfinders will work in sand on 250's when aired down, but dig less when reversed. The equivalent tread in a 25" do the same on 650. The 25" Kenda Bear Claws are too aggressive for the 250 CVT's in sand whether running forward or backward, but are less stressful on the belts with the tread reversed. The 250's OEM 22" tire is a fun tire to rip around on flats, but doesn't have enough floatation or traction to make useful anywhere else.

At any time I have two 6' high stacks of tires in the garage and typically will take one of those stacks with me to go ride and experiment with different combinations of front and rear, tread orientations and pressures. I am aware that terrain conditions will also dictate tire choice and that is another reason for the number of tires I own since I will ride in anything from muddy puddled trails to rock climbs to loose bottomless sand.

Last edited by GX150; 05-01-2012 at 09:59 AM.