Thread: White Smoke?
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Lurker

Default Rings / Valves

I had posted an issue with my GY6 engine last year and just now getting around to tearing it down...

SYCARMS has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - White Smoke? - in the 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech forum of BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum.

This thread is located at:
http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/sh...7&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:

As a reminder... The karts I bought were from the box 150cc SunL Model 2-A that I had bought used.. They had been sitting up and after putting new carbs on them they ran really well... Until... A few hard rides and they both started blowing white smoke. I've taken the one engine down and although the valves are all but sealed shut, the rings, piston & cylinder wall itself look fine. There is a score on the wall of the cylinder
I finally got a micrometer and have the 57.4 mm cylinder on it.

Realize I'd never be able to free the valves, but cylinder/piston looks OK, although I think new rings are in order- especially since I have it torn down. Notice the kit that the replacement rings have 5 total, 4 plus the thicker one closest to the shaft. I only took 2 off. How do you get the lower (thicker) one off?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PISTON SIDE.jpg (35.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg CYLINDER WALL.jpg (91.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg VALVES TOP VIEW.jpg (95.7 KB, 17 views)