View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Lurker

Default Need help with Carbide frankenbeast

I have been looking for a buggy for my son and I and think I found a great deal on a Carbide but need some help with getting it running. Below are some clickable thumbnails of what I found after taking off the electrical box cover and a few pictures of the motor.

My Question is what should I do first to get this thing running? I really need to have a test drive soon or the boss is going to think I have wasted some money here. The guy I bought it from said the cart would idle but die once you gave it any gas and thought the carb needed cleaning/adjusting. Instead of trying to get the carb working I have just ordered a new one. I have not been able to get the motor to start. Sometimes it will turnover but most of the time it does nothing aside from lighting up the speedo which then goes blank when I try to start it. I would guess this is due to the wiring. The previous owner had said he thought the kill switch on the dash was bad. Should I go ahead and replace the switch? I ask because I'm wondering if this thing ever ran and might be looking in the wrong place based on the fact he said it ran great and pull he and his son to 40+ at one time.

Something you may notice in the pictues is that they put a 5 pin cdi on the motor. He did say the motor was replaced but I'm not sure why they used a 5 pin. Is this a 150cc? Most of the 5 pin cdi seem to be on the smaller motors although it looks like they are basicly the same as the six pin units. I have also ordered another 5 pin cdi and plan to buy a new coil and voltage regulator in my process of rewiring the electrics.

What type of connectors do you recommend I use to clean up the wiring or should I just start over and buy a new harness and the correct 6 pin cdi?

I also see that Tom's shop is less than 1.5 hours from my house but I would really rather wait until I have driven the buggy a bit and then take it to Tom for all the go fast goods. That and the fact I have nothing at the moment to take it down there.

Last edited by Yoed; 08-25-2011 at 10:29 AM.