Thread: help a newb out
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Lurker

Default help a newb out

Hey all. Let me start by saying that Im a total newb when it comes to motorcycles. I am very interested and have always wanted one but never had the chance until now.
Today I bought a 70's honda mt250 for $75 thats less than put together, because it seemed like a great deal and something with potential. Id love to be able to get it running again. But I need some help. The guy I bought it from bought it from a guy who took some things apart to paint it and never got it totally back together. Apparently it ran at that point and there wasnt any problems necessarily.
I have a pretty good understanding of the basics of how an engine, carb, etc work. I have a fair amount experience with 4-stroke engine repair. 2 strokes are a different story. some of my questions may sound stupid, but like I said any help you could give to this newb would be greatly appreciated

My first question is about the neccesary electrical setup. I just want to get it run at this point. I really dont understand the coil, cdi, etc...I guess I know what they do, but not how they work together. If someone could give me some basics about how to hook things up that would be greatly appreciated.

My second question is about the carb. I get the basics of carbs but i have some questions about this one. Heres a picture for reference:

Why are there 3 fuel line inputs? The one to the right of the idle adjustment is the main fuel intake right? but what are the other 2 for? fuel reserve? Im not sure how that setup works...

The next thing may sound stupid but bear with me. Why are there two spark plugs?

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/197/93168194.jpg/][IMG]

Last edited by wearetwomariners; 10-14-2012 at 03:32 PM.