View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 07:34 AM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
By the way where the H*ll is Penciltucky LOL
TOM
Just a few hundred yards west of Dixie (pic)

I wrote up my post while you wrote and posted yours, didn't see yours until after mine went up, which was directed entirely at xlint's question. You hit the nail on the head with a lot less words.

After many years of playing with cars and having the good fortune of working in some low and high end shops then later the automotive magazine biz and getting a lot of first-hand education from everyone from enthusiast owners to some of the top race builders I still consider myself a rank amateur. The issue of commercial vs consumer interests is the main reason i left the magazine biz. In the late 90s the automotive and largely the entire magazine industry became a publishing monopoly of the company I worked for. (I started out with a small niche publisher putting out a dozen monthly and bi monthly car pubs that was soon gobbled up) The higher ups basically forced article write-ups and company/product coverage on the editors solely based on advertising revenue. It actually was "forbidden" to write about a product from a company that didn't advertise with the mags and woe to he who wrote the negative outcomes without couching it in BS gilded lily prose even if it was the truth. Guess where this square peg didn't fit .

Back on topic, even these china gy6s have enough variation in them (heads, valve sizes, cams, carbs, gearing etc. that there's no real guarantee that what works for one will work for another. Your example of your experience with the flat spot in the powerband proves that out.

It's great that a person like yourself has the knowledge of what's out there and takes the time to pass it along untainted by commercial interests. Given the economic and manufacturing situation these days, it's a lot easier for the average end user to waste a lot of money on hype and a lot harder to get solid, factual information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dix.jpg (60.1 KB, 7 views)