Thread: Help, please
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 10:37 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbstring View Post
Sorry for the delay in my response and my ignorance but I don't know what the throat is? I have taken the top and bottom apart before and this evening I pulled the top off again and removed the spring, diaphragm, needle and the hole where the needle goes in and cleaned them all out. It still stalls out but it starts up way faster after words. I really have no idea what I'm doing
The throat is area which air passes through. If you removed the top cover you have a diaphragm which when removed is attached to the slide. protruding from slide is the needle which when all is installed goes through a cavity in bottom of carb. The needle than goes inside the main jet. This is what controls amount of fuel that passes through the main jet. When you press the throttle( gas pedal) vacuum created by the engine passes through top side of diaphragm sucking the diaphragm upwards which raises the slide and needle which allows more fuel to travel through the main jet. That needle goes down through the floor of carb throat. That is where you will see that bushing. That bushing slows the flow of fuel so that it can properly atomize with the air being sucked in. If that bushing is missing the fuel will not be controlled so it will not properly atomize with air which will cause engine to flood out when you hit the gas. Pull the air box and look into throat of carb where you will see the slide. Take your finger and lift that slide and you will see the needle. Look at where needle passes through bottom of throat and you should see the bushing either aluminum or brass sticking up about 1/16". If that is missing that is the problem. That bushing sits above the main jet the main jet holds that bushing.