Thread: CDI worth it?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 09:20 AM
Supporting Vendor

Here is what I can tell you about CDI's. I've tried many and have so many just laying around. Weather AC or DC 99% of the performance CDI's are designed for the scooter which due to it's weight will use a different advance curve. Since you have a DC volt CDI I will concentrate on it. I have yet to find a DC volt performance CDI that benefits our buggies. The stock CDI is your best bet since the timing curve is set up for the heavier buggy. As far as the adjustable CDI's are concerned, they all use a dash pot for adjustment which has been proven to be inferior. I had always figured this to be due to cheap manufacture but a few years back at the dealer expo I was talking to the MSD rep and considered having them make them up for the buggy but the price of $400.00 kept me from doing so. What I learned from him made me realize that the design using the dash pot adjustment was the problem and not the manufacturing process. MSD had tried the performance CDI's using the dash pot only to discover they will not hold the timing for long due to the excessive bounce and vibrations and this is why they currently use a usb with computer to program them for the entire circuitry is sealed in the epoxy therefore nothing can vibrate loose. Now I will point out the link you provided for the eBay CDI. This is a prime example of someone who sells a product they know nothing of. First if you scroll down to the diagram it shows 2 wires to the 2 pin plug. I have yet to run across a DC system that has 2 wires going to the 2 pin plug. Only the AC systems use this other pin. Second he states if your headlights come on with just the ign. turned on this indicates a DC system. It all depends on how the system was wired as to weather the lights run off the Stater or battery. Weather an AC or DC volt system they will only produce current while running. All stators put out AV volts then as the AC current passed through the regulator rectifier it is converted to DC volts. AC voltage is more stabilized then DC voltage which is why the old DC generators used on cars years ago your headlights would dim at idle. AC current is a more consistant current and does not fluctuate with RPM. The early ignitions were run off of AC volts and for that reason 2 wires were used on the 2 pin plug of the CDI. Next he states that a DC system will not run without a battery. All the battery is for is to start and that is it. If your Kimco DC volt scooter battery is dead all you have to do is use the kick start and away you go. The last thing he states is you will not be bogged down due to a rev limit for his has none. Most if not all CDI's use a 7800 rpm rev limit. This is not to limit speed or power but to save the engine from premature ware. Unless you have some very serious mods to your engine it will peaked its power output at 7800 rpm and pushing it over the 7800 rpm limit will not give you any more power for it's been used up. Again realize that what I'm saying here refers to buggies only,for scooters are much lighter and is much easier to bring the power curve to a higher threshold. The threshold will be determined by weight over displacement as well as cam and head for which there is nothing currently available performance wise to bring our buggies above that threshold.