Thread: CDI worth it?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2015, 06:59 AM
Supporting Vendor

Those are good CDI's but as I said in earlier posts the draw back is that they use a dash pot as adjustment. The adjustment does not hold up after time. My personal experience with that identical CDI both AC volt and DC volt is adjustment will loosen after 6-12 months depending on how much riding you do. The constant jolting will after time cause the adjustment to loosen. This is a common flaw which is why Mallory has gone to the programmable CDI in their off road series CDI's. I would also suggest using a solid copper core spark plug with tungsten tip. Iridium tipped plugs will burn out the electrode in no time. The coil produces 50,000 kv and the CDI allows for a long duration spark which is overkill in a stock or lightly modified engine. The big advantage is in the adjustable timing since it can be custom tuned to the engine until the adjustment loosens and won't hold the timing which will certainly happen in time. I still use this exact type CDI on my single seat blade ACV and my Challenger DCV, but only when drag racing it. Trail riding I switch back to my other performance CDI.