View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 07:02 AM
Power User

The problem that causes the bent rod (gotta be the passenger side) is its length and clearance to the front frame stub. When the a-arm goes to full droop the tie rod hits and bends on the frame. Mine looked like spaghetti after awhile. Metal's method will work, or get 3/8 solid rod, drilling about an inch into the center of it, and either tap it for the threaded portion of the existing tie rod, or drill oversize insert and weld in the end. Also start checking the steering arms on a routine basis for twisting, they'll end up hitting the tire. If you have a welder, fully weld up the stock gusset and add another like xlint notes on the cart side of it that goes all the way up and to the end of the arm where the rod end mounts.

First pic shows the problem/contact point. My first repair was to just weld another piece of the same size rod next to it, worked ok.

Second pic shows a more solid repair. Problem is, larger diameter = more contact. At that stage i began messing with the linkage and also had built new a-arms and a new front end to hang them from and put on larger rims/tires. which led to messing with the pitman. Which led to a lot of work and rework of a difficult, marginal design. Never got rid of very bad bump steer issues. which led to a dual arm design i'm nearly done with.

Third pic shows the steering arm and what rough terrain will do to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aprob.jpg (82.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg AAFix.jpg (86.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg sarm45.jpg (35.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by x-bird; 03-02-2012 at 07:06 AM.