View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Heavy Contributor

I have to agree with Tom.The cvt is pretty well designed and a mechanical problem that continually burns belts is rare. Most can be attributed 99% of the time to driver error rather than mechanical failure. If your satified that the cvt is mechanically sound, then there is only one factor left. Not meaning to cut you down, we are ALL guilty of this. When I got my first buggy, I was totally ignorant of the capabilities of the machine. I fried belts and clutches. continually until I found the limits of these components. I thought I should be able to just motor through just like my truck or 4-wheeler. It took me a little while to learn when it was time to back off the throttle as to not fry the system. If you come to a steep grade or mud, the buggy slows and slips but not the rpms, your cooking the belt. If your revving up but not moving, your cooking the cvt. You have to approach obstacles with finesse and strategy. Pick your path before you get there. use speed and momentum, not power to get you through. I've witnessed a lot of people approach a log or a rock in the trail, run the front wheels against it then try to power over.This only burns the cvt! These motors don't have this sort of horsepower. Best solution is to pick another path or use suspension rebound to get you over. Rebound is a technique where you approach the obstacle at speed, come off the gas, tap the brake to cause the front end to compress then time the throttle to push forwards on the shock rebound. This causes the front end to bounce up and over with out losing forwards momentum thus taking strain off the belt and clutch. If the obstacle is higher than your ground clearance, you probably won't make it regardless of power or technique.
Once I learned what I could and shouldn't, I stopped burning belts. Even though I haven't popped a belt in years, I replace them about twice a season to be on the safe side. I still carry a spare while on the trails cause you just never know what your going to try next.