View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 07:46 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertoast92 View Post
but I think cleaning off the variator plates with sand paper and the new clutch assembly should fix the problem, along with hopefully our last replacement belt for a year or so.

The belt that came with it lasted for two years, which was up until I started having the troubles.

It sounds like you are not abusing the buggy for sure. Don't use sandpaper on the variator surfaces. this will cause premature belt wear also. The rough surface will eat the belt down. The variator surfaces should be polished to a mirror finish. Use a buffing pad in a air drill with rubbing compound to clean the variator pullys. The slicker the surface, the better the belt travels and grabs. Polish/compound the clutch pulley surfaces also. Do use 100 grit cloth on the clutch bell to remove glazing. If the glazing is bad and the bell shows some blueing, start with 80 grit then give it a final polish with the 100. If there are just a few spots of blueing, the bell is ok. If the bell is totally blue or real dark in color. it means it got too much heat and should be replaced also. When the bell gets to this point, it doesn't matter how well you clean the pad surface, it will promptly glaze over and start slipping again.
Check your main clutch spring to insure it does not bind and the clutch pulley halves can travel in and out smoothly. A small touch of lithium grease is ok to use on the shaft and spring base cup, just enough to shine the pieces. You don't want grease to sling up on the pulley surfaces. Don't handle the pulleys with dirty hands. Clean every thing, inside and out spotless, case cover, interior cvt, everything. I can't express this enough!
Install new rollers and a new belt. With the variator and clutch system brought back to a like new condition it will be a whole lot easier to tell what is malfunctioning. It's very difficult to tell when the pieces already show wear.