View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Contributor

Monday was a little ambitous. After getting everything mounted I found out I need to do some additional work on the front end. The front wheel width was adjusted enough I needed to gain some additional adjustment with the Rack & Pinion. I also noticed the larger front wheels didn't leave much/enough room between the knuckle & rim.

So I ordered some heim joints to replace the stock ball joint on the steering and notched the knuckle so I could bend the steering mounting arm inward to create some additional gap between the knuckle and rim/tire. I had most of the adjustments made and ready for the new heim joints that showed up Saturday morning and I was able to get the cart rolling for a full day of riding on Sunday.

I did not take the time for the additional notch in the rack & pinion but will be taking it back off shortly and performing that upgrade. I've already almost rolled it twice trying to slide the rear around to get turned around without going through the ditch. You guys weren't kidding about the turning radius.

Regarding performance, with the current setup my max speed was around 30mph pushing as hard as it would go. The GPS on the cell phone claimed 29 and my neighbor riding beside me on his ATV claimed 31. About 27 on the GPS it didn't feel like I was working the motor to hard. Let me know how that sounds compared to what you guys are seeing. It was able to climb the hills/ditches around here without any problem so I won't be changing anything initially. I can see where some motor work may be in the future to see how much more we can get out of it. It just leaves you with a feeling of wanting a bit more. I also need to remind myself this was purchased for the kid. Not that I need another hobby but I can see where this is going to get addicting.

Thanks MetalStudMan1 for all the insight.