View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 07:26 PM
Contributor

I'm still learning to weld. I think this plate will hold, though. If it does fail it isn't from lack of weld.

I read about building a DIY flow bench. I expected it to take a lot longer than it did. The shop vac fitting fits perfectly in the stock (trashed) cylinder. I had some leftover tubing and fittings that threaded onto a compression tester perfectly.

Basically there is a manometer measuring vacuum in the cylinder at the spark plug port. Massive shop vac pulls a vacuum in the cylinder. Lots of vacuum measured in the cylinder means poor air flow through the open valve. Little vacuum means good air flow. Youtube "DIY flow bench" for similar setups with a thorough explanation.

I made this because I am convinced that the new cylinder head I bought (61mm) has poorer flow than the stock head. I know, you get what you pay for.

I ordered some items to port the cheap head and want to get it to flow at least as good as the stock head. Hoping to use the DIY flow bench to do that.

Anyway, I played with the stock head a little. I find it really odd that max air flow (least vacuum measured in cylinder) happens just before and after the valve is at its maximum opening. Maybe due to turbulence or the fact that I don't have any intake on the head? It's crazy, though. Just as it is getting to, say, 90% open it gets much louder and the pressure in the cylinder jumps up.

Anyone care to enlighten me as to why?