View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 12:10 PM
Contributor

Just a disclaimer to anyone following the thread -

There are a lot of opinions on valve porting. I in no way claim to know what I'm doing. This is a project thread. I enjoy tinkering/dabbling and am documenting it for your enjoyment and in the hopes of getting useful feedback. If you want maximum performance out of your engine you should not do as I do. Again, this thread is not intended to be a how-to by any means. It is merely meant to document my experimentation in the hope that it will benefit others. Thanks for reading.

OK, so I bought a cheap cylinder head off a popular online auction site. Username gy6store. It doesn't take more than a glance to see that this thing is poor quality.

I am attempting to make click-able links so you have an option to view in higher resoltion.

Lots of pitting.

Exhaust port.

Intake Port.

I put it on the flow bench and it was obviously worse on the intake side (didn't test exhaust) than the stock cylinder. Not surprising. I haven't tested since I started removing material but this is where I stopped with the reshaping -

I removed a lot of material from the valve boss. Stock there really isn't a valve boss at all - the seat just comes up from the floor of the passageway. I don't have anything to finish up (I only have rough cutting bits) so I'll revisit at some point and see how it does compared to stock. I've ordered all new gaskets and a new intake manifold so I'll port match when they come in.