View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Contributor

I hope I didn't scare anyone off with my disclaimer last post. I was enjoying all the feedback.

I took the case from the trash motor to my machinist father-in-law and he was not enthused about tackling the case boring. Because of the odd shape he said it would take at least an hour to get the casing vised in a position where he could bore it. I told him to forget about it since we are so close to Christmas. Usually we go into his work on a Saturday morning when I need something done. I may continue with the build but it will be after Christmas. Meanwhile..

I had an a12 cam in the parts box for the engine build. I decided to throw it in the known good engine I'm running in the buggy. I went ahead and pulled the cylinder head off to check the valves since there was a pretty serious exhaust leak when I got it -

I cleaned up the valves and lapped them -

Since I had the porting tools out I just went after low-hanging fruit. There were several issues that I knew, without a doubt, was a hindrance to air flow. These are "after" pics. I just smoothed out the transition up to the valve opening.

This is a terrible picture but I am convinced that the biggest difference I made was cleaning up the mating area around the plastic spacer. There was at least 1/32" lip I was able to eliminate.

I filled this hole (casting error) with epoxy as well as the vacuum port on the intake manifold. Also polished the intake manifold.

And reassembled with a12 cam.

The 30mm pumper came in over the weekend. I'll likely throw it on the stock engine with a12 cam once I verify the cam install is good. Don't want to change too many things at once.