View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 12:08 PM
Contributor

My goal for my lunch break today was to get the engine back together and verify the cam install. A couple things I noticed -

I had not checked valve lash since I got this buggy. When I pulled the valve cover off, with the engine at TDC, there was no clearance at all between the valves and the rockers. I set it correctly after I installed the a12 cam.

At lunch today the buggy didn't crank as easily as it did before. On the compression stroke the engine would make a noise like it was trying to bust off but the engine would stop its rotation at the top of the cycle. In short it takes more battery current to get it started. This may be a carb tuning/jetting issue. Or maybe more compression from valve lapping, the new cam, or properly set valve lash?

Once it started up the idle was high. Unreasonably high. I don't have a tach but I'm guessing it was around 2k rpm. I ran the idle screw all the way out (this just actuates the throttle) and it is still high. I wasn't in a well ventilated area so I killed the engine and will look at it again later. I didn't mess with the air/fuel screw. I'm almost willing to bet that there aren't any air leaks around the intake but I guess anything is possible.