View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 09:36 AM
Contributor

I think I figured it out - I was using the wrong nut on the flywheel. Both these have the same ID and thread type. One interferes with the fan, the other doesn't.

On another note - I swapped back to the original sprocket from the 39t. Not sure what the RPM is but I gained a couple mph. I went from 30mph to 33mph and the rpms came down a good bit.

I'm continuing with the trash engine build despite nearly destroying the engine halves with the case reamer.

I used a steel brush to get that rust off the crank.

I soaked all the internals in diesel fuel and blew them off with compressed air. A note to anyone doing this in the future - There is a channel in the crank that accumulates gunk. I can't believe how much stuff came out of there. It was nasty.

So clean. (I did clean up gasket surfaces after these pics)

When swapping the sprockets I realized both hubs have a lot of rotational play in them. I have no idea how they aren't slipping teeth. I'm not sure if the issue is the axle or the hub. For now I'll weld them in place if I have to. I'm about to start looking for another axle. My only requirement is that I can get aluminum wheels. Suggestions welcome.

I gapped the rings on the new cylinder. They actually didn't need any trimming. What gaps are you guys using? I see all sorts of recommendations on the internet. One guy was using .009" on the top and .011" on the bottom. This makes no sense to me.

At one point I had just blown off some components and was walking with them in a cardboard box. Bottom of the box failed, dumping them on the asphault/sand/rocks. It wasn't funny at the time..