View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 10:31 AM
Heavy Contributor

[QUOTE=Pripyat;54414]

When swapping the sprockets I realized both hubs have a lot of rotational play in them. I have no idea how they aren't slipping teeth. I'm not sure if the issue is the axle or the hub. For now I'll weld them in place if I have to. I'm about to start looking for another axle. My only requirement is that I can get aluminum wheels. Suggestions welcome. [QUOTE]

The rotational or sloppy play in the hubs is a result of poor metal quality in the hub and the axle both. both the splines in the hub and axle will twist. It's a eventual problem. the yerf axle is notorious for bending and /or snapping. BD has a axle upgrade. The BD axle is a simple swap but I don't know if it addresses the spline failure in the hubs, Contact Travis.
My own solution was to replace the axle with a Azusa flex proof keyed axle. I did the first conversion long before the BD axles were available or I might have gone that route. but for me axle and hub failure is in the past so I stick with it There's a old thread somewhere in buggymasters that covers the conversion. These pics shows the latest evolution that addresses all the potential axle/hub failures I have ever experienced. This setup is over 5 years old and still strong. I replace the axle carrier/bearings and the chain sprocket on a yearly basis as they are a wear item. Aluminum wheels are readily available in the rear bolt pattern. you may have to use a ATV hub on the front simply for the bolt pattern.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 223.jpg (97.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 232.jpg (95.5 KB, 6 views)