View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 08:25 AM
Contributor

I won't be messing with the buggy much this week but I do have some questions -

I emailed SYC about purchasing a cylinder head through him. After some discussion I realized that if I order one from a shop that does engine work I would want to go ahead and get a port/polish from someone who knows what they are doing. But, I want to play with the big valve head in its stock form and see what the gains are just from the larger ports/valves before the port/polish. So currently I'm trying to source a well made head with large valves to play with. If I find that I'm still wanting more I'll seek a port/polish for the new big valve head.

But, I cannot find a name brand big valve head (58 through 61mm) without EGR just by searching on the internet. Why can I not find a Taida or NCY non-EGR cylinder head with 28/23 valves? I have spent hours searching.

I didn't follow up with SYC to find out what brand he stocks but the only 28/23 non-EGR head I can find is one on ebay under the brand "Charmo". Interestingly it says "Taida" as being the brand. Maybe it is a clone of the Taida head? Interestingly the seller on ebay is the same one I got the terribly cast, crappy head from. I will cry if I order the Charmo head and it has the huge castings extending up into the ports around the valve stems like the other cheap head.