View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SlickNick View Post
I wonder.... is it worth it at all to try to customize your own shock? If you take a look at the works shocks triples. you can see 3 different coils. I wonder if you could do this yourself. I have 15" kawaki mojave shocks and was pondering the idea of using the 2 extra inches to increase ride height , but swap coils with softer carbide coils and maybe buying one soft snowmobile coil ( cut it in 2) and use that with carbide coil on mojave shock.
Would you have to weld coils together once you found the desired stiffness and rebound. Does this make any sense?
DO NOT WELD SPRINGS! You will distemper them and change the spring dynamic. The dual and triple rate shocks you see all use a divider plate between the springs. You can by all means do this on your own, and few members here have done it, but the time and $$ spent on springs might add up to what you would spend on a custom set of works shocks. Also check out some atv spring sites, they have different spring rates and sizes available as well. If you know your curb weight per wheel, you can narrow down the spring weights you need. I am not sure how one would calculate it, but I am also intrigued and interested in doing something similar.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'