View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrod2 View Post
FINALLY found the problem! It was a bad connection. The 4 plug connector (ground, black/yellow wire to coil, & trigger wire), and the 2 plug connector (kill & stator wire) were not making good contact where it plugs into the CDI. This would explain why I was getting no voltage coming out of the CDI or at the coil and also why it would only run sometimes.

The connectors were wore out bad, so bad that I could wiggle the wires while someone tried to start it and it still wouldnt start! I would go to say 2 or 3 of them werent making contact. I stuffed some strands of 18 gauge wire in each connector end (as a quick test) and it fired right up. Drove it for a good while and everythings fine.

What a relief! I hope this helps someone who has similar problems. I always hate it when someone doesnt come back and post how they fixed the problem.

Man, I know this ignition system front and back now!

Thanks for the tip on scooter parts being interchangeable.

Hey man i just got a Carter talon GX 150 bought it used and its in great condition. Guy i bought it from said it only has around 20 hrs on it and 5 years old. Runs great then just cuts out randomly like yours did, starts sometimes then it wont. I leave it a couple of hours or go back next day and it starts. I cleaned the carb,replaced the spark plug and it still happens. Also put chemtool in the gas tank with fresh fuel as previous owner told me the fuel in the tank was quite old. Now reading this forum i have just joined i am seriously thinking i have the same problem as you had. I am completely new to this and this is my first Go kart buggy. I think i have identified the wires to the CDI you mention but would need to get myself a multi meter to check them. Did you replace the whole plastic sealed plug or just rewire into it. I would need to look at it more when i get the time but it does not seem like there is any real way to secure the wires in there or remove them. Any info pics or anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

John