View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittletstv View Post
The trailer kit basically supplied the bulk of the wiring for the lights. It had to be cut to length and then I soldered bullet type male & female wire connectors (the type with the little plastic weathertight jackets to cut down on potential corrsion from water) @ each light which makes it easy to replace any given light when needed. On the other ends @ the dash I soldered eyelet style connectors. As long as you label / or note which wire is going where it's not a problem with both right & left sides of the buggy using the same common color wires. Plus, to make it easier if ever needed to get back in the wire loom for repairs or additions later, I ran each blinker, tail light, and additional brake light back seperately down along each side of the frame along the bottom with zip ties. Again , this was with the thought of possibly adding different brake lights / tail lights later besides the 1 center mounted brake light that it came with up top. The battery I used is approx. 5 1/4"wx3"dx5 1/4' h (Model# 12N9-4B-1). I remember that they were readily avaliable online for less than what I paid for it but I wanted it quicker so I went local. I don't remember all of the specs on it but it fit right in the original box and it's worked fine so far. I just went with 2 black utility lights @ Harbor Freight as a test initially but so far I haven't changed them out for higher end lights yet. I did have to fabricate some mouts for them though. I also ran a 16ga power wire & a 16ga negative wire from the battery up to the dash so that I would have plenty of power for whatever I wanted to use later. I also used the wire looms from Harbor Freight. Since the guy had cut off a bunch of the wires back @ the the electric box, I just capped them off and ran mine directly from the battery. As long as I don't go off and leave the lights on there's no problem.
Well I dont know the first thing about soldering so I won't be messing with that. I think what I'm going to do I mount a larger batter to the top where those 2 horns you had were and run all the different electric stuff from it. Mount 2 spotlights on the sides and maybe some of those utility lights at the front all with switches. Then I might rig up some rear blinkers also with a switch. I don't know how I will get the left and right to work without just using 2 switches..?.. How good are those utility light? I saw some good stuff at tractor supply they had the lights and alot of wiring stuff, harbor freight was closed by the time I got there :/