View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Power User

And the remaining 5 percent Suzuki won me over. Rather than invest in new struts I found a way to make the quadrunner front end work better.

In stock form, the a-arms on it have very little droop and the ball joints limit any further droop because of bind relative to their position in the a-arm.

I've been staring at this thing off and on for weeks. Today i took the penetrating oil to it, loosened it all up and tested its travel. I've found that if i cut the lower ball joint's mount tube out and reposition in to a more upward angle I can get about a 6 inch droop out of it and increase it's travel range. More droop if i cut some out of the bottom box frame where the lower arm mounts.

I intend to mount this way out front, about half the a-arm will be in thin air so to speak until i add tubing to tie it all it. This will give me room beyond the pedals to drop the steering rack down into and be inline at the same height with the QR's steering arms. I'll just extend the column with one of the yerf 2x jointed telescopic deals.

This would add about 1 foot to the wheelbase and put the front track anywhere from 52 to 56--haven't checked the rim offset yet. Clearance, it will pick up around 4 inches up front and add about 3 inches more travel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunrunner.jpg (89.7 KB, 52 views)