Thread: 500 swap
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 04:43 AM
Banned

Was just curious to know if an 800 mill would fit/ bolt right into a 500 frame? Sportsman is the model I'm questioning. Ever since I bought my 07 500 I've regretted not buying the 800, and you find wrecked 800's for pretty cheap
Being that I finished the install at 3am Thursday morning I didn't have the time to build a proper tunnel extension so I simply attached the snow flap to the back of the grab bar and wired it up so it wouldnt hit, well so I thought, the flap was hit constantly and got quite annoying, so a tunnel extension will be in the near future.
Also, the stock chaincase in a 1990 indy 500 is a top gear of 19 teeth, a bottom gear of 35 teeth and a chain width of 11 plates. I didn't feel comfortable with the stock gearing and trying to turn a 136" track so I purchased a 17tooth top gear and boy am I ever glad I did! I dont want the fastest sled across the lake, I just want a quick holeshot out of a corner and power to play. The only downside to changing to a 17tooth top gear was that it put a rather large dogleg in the chain in the chain case and I only have about a 1/2" of bolt left to take up anymore stretching. I will probably purchase a shorter chain for next season.