View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 10:05 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3beatz View Post
I saw the post the Ckau did on his mod and that's probably the stuff I'll go with. He said something about a flex-proof one from here... http://gokartgalaxy.com/deluxe_flexp...teel_axles.htm

I just hope the axle holds up better than the stock one, I also will probably do the hub the same way he recommends also. or just get one of the BMI 4x4" ones and re-drill my rims.
The axle holds up very well. The first "flex proof" axle I promptly bent at the wheel hub due to lack of support. I then added the outboard and center bearing supports. The second axle with the correct supports has been in for about 4 years now. I've had only two issues with the set up. I sheared a sprocket hub and tore the spokes out of a wheel hub. the sprocket hub split and sliced the 1/4x1/4 key length ways after stabbing the gas on hard pack. The wheel hub snapped doing laps on a oval track. neither had any effect on the integrity of the axle.
I mated the stock 4/110 rear hubs with the machine coupler in order to use the key way and also to retain the original bolt pattern. The 3/4 step down gives a shoulder to bolt the hub tight to the axle end with a axle nut. The set screws in the coupler then only have to serve as locks for the key stock. You use a locking collar behind the coupler to help keep the key stock from "walking out". In time, the key way and key stock will wear a touch so the key stock has the tendency to work loose from under the coupler. The locking collar holds the key stock in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newest 038.jpg (87.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg crash006.jpg (65.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg axle hub.jpg (14.2 KB, 38 views)