View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 07:00 AM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan10101 View Post
This looks like an interesting site for frankenbuggy builds.
http://www.protodie.com/930-cv-live-...lete_p_47.html This is only $775. But I may be able to do it for a couple hundred in materials. I saw someone build a box to hold the center section of a rear end, (Suburu?).

The price might be doable as long as the rest of the items left to do aren't crazy expensive, (like the engine). I'd love to spend 5k and get the whole rear end with reverse, but then I might as well build a sand rail.

this hobby can get stupid expensive if you let it no matter what level build the buggy is. For me Protodie's parts are wish list only. after all the years and mods and re-dos to my little thing, i had the thought yesterday, that at day 1, i could have started with an old VW woods rail for about $500 and have a pretty nice one by now. However, basic parts and consumable costs (suspension, wheels and brakes) are way higher and around here you're more limited with riding areas.

A scratch build on a rail will likely set you back 7500-1500 depending on what level you go to with it and what equipment you're set up with fab-wise.