View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Contributor

I do like the idea of a trailing arm or semi trailing arm system over the a-arm, but in order to build one it is a ton of work. First you have to decide what type of stub axle that you will run. Then you get the bearings and the bearing carrier to match the stub axle. Next you have to decide how the arm will attach to the frame (usually 2 places). Then you build a jig that will hold the bearing carrier and the 2 attachment points. After that, you can then begin to build the arms. I did do this for my Baja bug. I built triangulated tubular arms as Master described, and just to get the camber and the toe correct in the arms took considerable time by itself. Also, the problem with using any type of “stock” component is the weight issue. Even if you have the aluminum Porsche trailing arms, just one would be heavier than the whole SS suspension combined. So when you are looking at having about 20 HP, every little bit of weight counts. Plus I would still be in the same boat about trying to find the correct length axles.

In a perfect world (and perfect wallet ), I would have rather started with something like a Joyner 250, that already had trailing arms. However, they do not have the amount of suspension travel as the 650 has. In stock form the 650 has 9” of travel at both ends. With 944 CVs, I should be able to stretch that out a little farther in the back. So even though a-arms are not my most favorite type of suspension in the rear, if I can get the axle lengths figured out, it will be the simplest.

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.