View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 01:28 AM
Contributor

Getting a little more done on the Pojo. However, it is mostly on the computer not on the car itself. I have been working on setting up the CV system, and I didn’t want to go about it hit or miss. But first I have to rant, I just got done grading midterms and my brain is fried. Not because of the amount of work, but because the amount of stupidness (is that a word?) and or laziness that I see on a regular basis . I tell you this country is going to hell in a hand basket. Okay, rant done.

So what I am faced with is some set measurements that I have to account for. The first one is the distance between the rear wheel bearings, this is set at 52-1/2”. Next is the location of the rear sprocket on the mid axle. Measured from the right wheel bearing, the maximum distance is 25-1/4”, but it can be moved to the right for a distance of 24”. Then I have my two axles, the left axle is 16-5/8’ long and the right axle is 15-5/16”. Last, when the mid axle and stub axles align into a straight line, I need a 1/8” gap on each side of the axle and the VW CV cups. So instead of doing a lot of test fitting and cutting, I reverse engineered all of the parts and drew them up in AutoCAD. This way I could move the different parts around until I could get the proper measurements that I needed.

When all of the sizing is worked out, the VW CV cups will be welded to the Joyner CV cups. To accomplish this, I had to chuck the VW cups into the lathe and turn down a shoulder so that they would fit into the Joyner cups. If you look at my drawings, you will notice that the Joyner cups are very deep. To get my spacing right, I will have to turn down the lengths of the Joyner cups. Once the spacing looks to be correct, I will weld together the right CV assemblies. Next I will fine tune my spacing on the left axle and weld up this side. For now it looks like I have the spacing figured out. So the next step is to cut some stock to mount the mid axle and tack it into place. Then I can double check my measurements and actually start to build the CV assemblies.

The first picture is a drawing of all of the individual components, the second one is how the parts will fit together. The last drawing is my actual spacing and how much I have to cut. Take a look at them and tell me if you see a mistake, or even a better way of doing it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CV System 1.jpg (39.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg CV System 2.JPG (31.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg CV System 3.jpg (42.7 KB, 23 views)

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.