View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 10:38 PM
Contributor

It’s funny that you asked. I have probably done more in the last two days then I have in a month and a half. Since I am an Instructor, I had grand plans for getting a lot done over the Christmas break. However, as soon as the break started, I got the stomach flu. Luckily I got well for Christmas. However, a few days after Christmas, I got pneumonia, so much for plans. The main thing that was holding me back was the rear sprocket. I need to turn it down to match the 520 chain that is on the Polaris transmission. So Friday I went to a motorcycle salvage yard and picked up a used chain to get me going, then on Saturday, I took the sprocket over to my dad’s. My lathe isn’t big enough to spin the sprocket, so I had to use my dad’s. It was rather slow going. What I was afraid of was that the sprocket was only surfaced hardened. However, it appears that Joyner did it right and the sprocket was hardened all the way through.

Today (during the Super Bowl) I started to tear the engine down. Even though it seemed to run good, I wanted to see what type of condition it was in. The engine is in pretty decent shape. The main and rod bearings are good, but it will need an oversized piston. That and new crank seals, should make it a fresh motor (gotta love the 2 strokes).

I did have to make a puller to get the flywheel off though. It looks pretty crappy because I was cutting it in the rain and dark, but it got the job done.

The next step is to fully gut the motor, then put the cylinder and head on and mount the engine in the cradle. This way I will have the dimensions I will need without the extra weight. Then I can start to make the engine mounts and get the chain lined up right,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Puller.jpg (96.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Engine.jpg (97.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Engine Parts.jpg (96.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Sprocket.jpg (93.2 KB, 22 views)

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.