Thread: Tachometers
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyMaster View Post
I've always wanted one of those. They appear to be great toys to have.
A very handy toy! With the info this thing gives, it is a great tuning and maintanance schedule tool. Keeps up with milage and hours run for maintanance. Has idiot lights that can be programed for about any feature. I have one set for high rpm limit and one set for high cylinder head temp. They light up when I reach these points. Sometimes I set one for anticipated clutch engagment rpm to check how the clutch hooks up. Variances in head temps can tell how the jetting and exhaust is working out. The recall feature is very handy. you can run a course, recall rpms, speed and E.T. Make some changes, run again and compare readings. Overall, a good system monitoring tool.
these were not designed for buggy use . the wiring harnes has to be extended to reach from motor to dash.
the speed sensor uses a magnetic bolt and pick up. swap out a bolt in the brake rotor and fab a bracket to hold the pick up. You got to do some math supplied with the unit to callibrate the speed.
Depending on glare and dusty condition, the LCD screen can difficult to read. A shade hood helps a lot.
the tach takes a reading from the firing pulse. a connection to the positve side of the coil works best.
the unit is not water proof. It has to be removed or protected at bath time. A plastic baggy works fine.
I have used one for several years now with no problems or gliches. I was surprised at how clueless I was until I used this thing