View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 07:18 AM
Power User

I've already noticed that the pricing on the 13 and 15 hp clones is pretty attractive. For all of $20-40 more than a 9hp i'd get the bigger engine, but my concern is whether or not the 30 series torque convertor would hold up to it. I think all of my options require a new clutch/driver as the 6.5 tec has the 3/4 shaft and everything 9hp and up appears to use the 1 inch shaft.

When it comes to the GY6 150/250s, I'm assuming that i would just need a chain and axle sprocket? (She needs a new sprockets and chain anyway)

I can deal with fabbing up mounts. Very soon I expect to extend the back end of the yerf to get more travel. (I have some used Fox shocks headed my way) The issue of adding a battery isn't one as I'll have to do that for whichever engine I add.

The GY6s just seem to be require more "fiddly" attention to them to get them dialed in. Is this true or just my imagination at work?

The other issue with them is that I think after buying the engine itself I still need exhaust and possibly other parts. Axle???? I'm having a hard time pinning down the cost of putting one in.

I've been looking at some of the threads, but i have yet to see a really good picture of one being mounted in a "bare" state to get a good idea of how it sets in relation to the chassis and axle. What is putting me off of them is i have the mental picture that they sort of work like a motorcycle swingarm. If i wa ready to commit to an IRS fabrication session, it'd be a no brainer.
Are they all like that or is there a particular version that the transmission is fixed so they operate driving a fixed live axle setup?

This is a pretty big deal for me expense wise and I want to get something that meets my goals the most affordable way. fab work that can be done from my metal "stockpile" doesn't bother me.

"Goals" --
Budget-- about $400-500 total
Power-- 9hp to 15hp max
Parts/reliability --must have support for stock replacement with some room for modding.