View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Lurker

Default 2 Month old Carbide/Quantum keeps stalling

I have a Carbide which I bought brand new from TSC on September 3rd, 2009. It has spent two weeks of the 1st month at a small engine repair shop for warranty for the stall problem. The small engine shop guy tested various things and eventually replaced the coil but that didn't fix the problem. When I got it back home I immediately tested it and it died 7 times within an hour. I called American Sportworks the next day and then sent me a new CDI module under warranty as I didn't want to haul it right back to the shop if this was the problem. Replacing the CDI module didn't fix the problem.

Here are the details if you have any ideas. Appreciate any help. The kart will simple just die when being driven. It seems electrical because when it dies it acts like either the key was turned off or the kill switch was activated. It will restart immediately as long as you turn the key to the off position first. If you crank it without turning the key off first, it will turn over but not fire. I think if you let it idle it would probably idle through an entire tank of gas without stalling. This seems to only happen if the engine is idling down or under load.

This happens at really low speeds while my kids are driving it and it has also happened after being driven a gravel road at full throttle for after a mile or so.

To make this even stranger, we have a big downhill area where it seems like if you are going uphill it doesn't stall. If you are driving down hill and come to a hard stop or let it coast to a stop it will die. This seems repeatable.

When it dies it doesn't act like it's a fuel problem at all. It has never acted like it was starved for fuel or ran rough or anything like that. It just apparently loses spark somehow.

One more thing. I just noticed that there is a breather tube or something coming off of the exhaust, right around where the two exhaust springs attach. This breather tube is not in either the printed or online parts manual. The end of the breather tube has a filter or something on it but doesn't attach to anything. It just sits loose above the starter. It this supposed to be pressuring something or is just a exhaust bypass or maybe for emissions?

Thanks