View Single Post
Old 05-23-2017, 05:56 AM
Lurker

Default A free buggy... Is never a "free" buggy. Now With Peektures!

So a little bit about my new to me Crossfire 150...

The good:

It has all 4 wheels and tires, and the wheels are even in decent condition!
(notice I said wheels specifically, and conveniently omitted tires...)
The engine seems mostly complete and is not locked. Spins freely under starter power and does not chatter.
Both of the headlights are attached to the little cute bull bumper thing on the front, and the brake light is actually still attached to the rearmost section of tube frame.
The steering parts are all there...
The brake master cylinder to the caliper look to be in good shape.
Final drive chain, sprocket, and live shaft look excellent save for the fresh coat of 5+ yr old rust on the chain.
Electrical system looks to be all there.
No water sludge in the motor... so thats good lol.
It passed compression test with 155psi on the gauge.

And the bad...

There is no floor pan. It has nearly all but rusted away.
Accelerator and brake pedal mounts are both non existent. The pedals are still there tho.
The steering doesnt steer. Its locked up tight as a drum. Steering wheel sleeve/shaft are basically bonded together and the rack and pinion is a solid blob of rust.
Shocks are frozen in the fully extended position. all 4.
Some pretty bad rust spots on one corner of both front lower swingarms.
Frame tubing directly beneath engine is nearly rusted away.
Rearmost and frontmost roll cage mount points of the roll cage tubing has rusted away... the ends just kind of flop around.
The cute little bull bumper thing has rusted off its mounts.
The carburetor is frozen solid. Ants have taken up residence within it.
lots of corrosion at every electrical connection visible.
The bar style resistor in the electrical cluster seems to have taken some thermal damage and has very corroded terminals.
There is a buss fuse just kind of dangling in free space by its clips.
What looks to be the constant supplied 12v+ to switch got yanked loose at some point... Was given this thing because it woulnt run... hmmmmmm

So far I have torn down the steering system and applied a bit of profanity grease to loosen everything back up. It all seems to work freely now...
And pulled the carb, tore it down, cleaned like a rabid squirrel... and I think it might just survive with a new bowl seal.

This thing actually sat outside exposed to the weather for at least 2 years before i dragged it home a week or so ago. It sat that way with NO SPARK PLUG in it! couldn't believe it wasn't locked up let alone see those compression numbers pop on the gauge. Something to be said for these chicom motors i suppose.

I will get some pictures of this rust monster posted once I figure out how this forum likes to be fondled...

Last edited by Christof13T; 05-25-2017 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Title addendum